CAMBODIA CALLING GUIDE |
Calling To/From Cambodia Long Distance
Calling to Cambodia
Making Calls while in Cambodia
Other Information about Long Distance Calling To/From Cambodia
Click here to go back to long distance calling cards for Cambodia
Information About Cambodia Telephone System
Land line service is not always adequate in rural areas, but cities are well-served. Mobile phone use is common throughout Cambodia. The country currently has over 36,000 land lines and over 498,000 cellular phones in use.
Important Phone Numbers To Know if Traveling to Cambodia
Embassies are located in Phnom Penh. Here are the addresses of just a few: The U.S. Embassy is at No. 27 Street 240 (tel. 023/426-436); the Australian and Canadian Embassies are located at No. 11 Street 254 (tel. 023/426-000); The British Embassy can be found at No. 27-29 Street 75 (tel. 023/427-124).
Other Important Information to Know About Cambodia
MT + 7.00. Current time in Phnom Penh.
ne U.S. dollar is worth 3,966 Cambodian riels. One British pound is currently equal to 7,931 riels Current exchange rate for Cambodian riel.
4,971,000 (more than 90% Khmer, small numbers of Chinese, Vietnamese, Cham, Khmer Loeu, and Indian)
ndependence Day is November 9 (1953) and is celebrated as widely as the 4th of July in the U.S. October 31 is King Sihanouk's Birthday, and Khmer New Year is in the middle of the month in April. Water festivals and boat races are held at the end of November. The Angkor Festival is held at the end of July.
he official language of Cambodia is Khmer. Many Cambodians speak a dialect of French known as Cambodian French, and young people are increasingly proficient in English.
ambodia is subject to the southern monsoons that also bombard Thailand and Vietnam from May to November. No matter what the season, Cambodia is hot. The best time to go is in the dry season from December to April.
Fun Facts About Cambodia
- Angkor Wat, a collection of temples, is Cambodia’s most popular tourist destination.Angkormeans city, and wat means temple in the Khmer language.
- Check out the beautiful beaches of Sihanoukville, in the southeastern part of the country.
- Cambodia is home to several beautiful mountain ranges, including the Cardamom Mountains, the Damrei Mountains, and the Dangrek Mountains.
- Approximately 10% of Cambodia’s population attends its annual boat races at the Tonle Sap River.
- The official name of Cambodia has changed several times since the country gained its independence from France.Currently, its official name is the Kingdom of Cambodia.
- Khmer culture has influenced dance, architecture, and sculpture in neighboring Laos and Thailand.
- The most popular sports in Cambodia include cockfighting and soccer.The martial art Pradal Serey is considered a national sport.
- Avoid drinking tap water in Cambodia.
- The Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum is an important destination for any tourist.Located in a former Khmer Rouge prison, it offers historical accounts of Cambodia’s tragic war of the 1970s and 1980s.
- Feet are considered dirty in Cambodia.Avoid stepping over anyone.
- Cycle rickshaws are a great way to get around Cambodia’s cities.
- The availability of excellent baguettes and milk coffee are the products of Cambodia’s history as a French colony.
- Hiring a car with a driver is a great way to see Cambodia beyond Phnom Penh.
- Over 700 kinds of rice are cultivated in Cambodia.It’s a staple of locals’ meals and the country’s top export.